The Salvation Army Counselor in Anchorage, Alaska
05095 SATS Counselor HMCC 04.16.18
Full-Time SATS COUNSELOR
CLITHEROE CENTER ADOC SATS Program
Position located at: HILAND MOUNTAIN Correctional Center (HMCC)
The Salvation Army is recruiting for a full-time Counselor for the Alaska Department of Corrections (ADOC) Substance Abuse and Treatment Services (SATS) Program at Hiland Mountain Correctional Center (HMCC). This position provides substance abuse treatment
services inside the correctional center. Under the direction of the SATS Coordinator, the SATS Counselor will maintain a caseload and facilitate groups and staff meetings. The SATS Counselor will follow approved treatment curriculum and maintain compliance
with ADOC SATS contract obligations. This position will be responsible for completing Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) as well as ASAM based assessments for clients.
This is a full-time (40 hrs per week), non-exempt position with benefits.
Starting Pay: $28.4615/hour ($60,000 annually)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE but are not limited to:
• Implement approved curriculums and treatment programs
• Conduct SBIRT and ASAM assessments, orientation with new clients, development of treatment plans, referrals, and reentry planning as needed
• Facilitate groups dealing with chemical dependency, substance abuse issues, co-occurring disorders, criminal personalities, and criminal thinking errors per approved curriculum
• Monitor client compliance with treatment goals and assigned curriculum work
• Complete documentation in timely fashion and in compliance with contract requirements
• Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor or other management as required
• Experience consistent with the requirements for Alaska State Certification Chemical Dependency Counselor I (CDCI) certification
• Able to obtain Alaska State CDCI Certification within one year from date of hire, if not currently certified
• Alaska State Chemical Dependency Clinical Counselor II (CDCII) certification is preferred
• Must at minimum have an Alaska State Counselor Technician certification or its equivalent
• Knowledge of Substance Related and Addictive Disorders (SRAAD) and its treatment
• Recovery Oriented Care – education and experience in the SAMSHA Working Definition of Recovery and ten (10) Guiding Principles of Recovery, as well as Recovery-Oriented Systems of Care including evidence-based clinical treatment and recovery support services
• Degree in the Behavioral Health Sciences or related field and two (2) years’ related experience preferred; Bachelor Degree in the Behavioral Health Sciences or related field is preferred
• Knowledge, skills, and abilities in Recovery Oriented Care and Recovery Support Systems – knowledge and belief that anyone can recover and/or manage their conditions successfully; focus is the SAMSHA Working Definition of Recovery and ten (10) Guiding Principles
of Recovery: a process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live a self-directed life, and strive to reach their full potential. A person’s recovery is built on his/her strengths, talents, coping abilities, resources, and
inherent values. Recovery is holistic, addresses the whole person and their community, and is supported by peers, friends, and family members. Recovery is built on access to evidence-based clinical treatment and recovery support services for all populations
• Skilled in the areas of group, individual and family counseling, didactic presentations, case management, treatment planning, discharge planning, crisis prevention/intervention, clinical evaluation, screening and assessments, and documentation requirements
• Knowledge of and ability to complete SBIRT and ASAM Assessments
• Knowledge of cross-cultural issues and skill in working with diverse populations
• Ability to work with minimal supervision; strong organizational, verbal, and written skills
• Detail oriented with a high level of accuracy required
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, maintain poise under pressure, and successfully communicate with a wide range of personalities
• Current Alaska driver license with acceptable driving and criminal history backgrounds
• Must be able to pass ADOC background check and PREA screening
This posting should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this position. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this
SPECIAL PERSONNEL CONDITIONS FOR THIS POSITION:
• Position and Salary contingent on ADOC approval:
--This is a contract-funded employee position to provide substance abuse treatment services under a 4-year contract for the Alaska Department of Corrections (ADOC)
--This position with salary is contingent on final ADOC approval of the contract
• Hiring and Termination procedures:
--In addition to The Salvation Army Human Resource procedures for personnel, all staff working under the ADOC contract must also be approved by the ADOC project manager and will be required to pass an ADOC background check and PREA screening prior to hire.
--After hire, the ADOC reserves the right to disqualify, prevent, rescind approval, or remove any staff performing work under the contract, and is under no obligation under the contract to inform The Salvation Army of the criteria for disqualification or removal.
Therefore, per the requirements of the ADOC contract, the Salvation Army reserves the right to terminate any employee deemed unsatisfactory to the ADOC.
The Salvation Army is a branch part of the Christian Church and the ultimate goal of all programs is spiritual regeneration of all people.
QUESTIONS: Contact Kristine Hanna, 907-770-8812, firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO APPLY:
Please complete job applications entirely. Incomplete job applications cannot be accepted.
To apply on-line . . . click on the “Apply On-line” blue text in lower right corner of this page.
To apply in person . . . go to The Salvation Army, 143 E. 9th Avenue, Anchorage AK 99501. Please bring resume, cover letter, and complete the application provided to you.
To request hard-copy application . . . send email to: AK.HR@usw.salvationarmy.org
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation such as the modification or adjustment of the job application process or interviewing process due to a disability, please contact Human Resources at 907-339-3436.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41